Ads 468x60px

Pages

Know Your English (Aug 2001)

Know your English

Should I say, "I enclose" or "I enclose herewith"

Whenever someone applies for a job, it is standard practice to conclude the letter by saying, "I am enclosing herewith my certificates and...". Some people object to the use of the word "herewith"; they argue that it is redundant. They recommend that people say, "I enclose a copy of....", or, "Please find enclosed a copy of ". But the fact remains that even native speakers of English do say, "enclose herewith". The example provided by the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English for the word herewith is "I enclose herewith two copies of the contract".


Source:
The Hindu daily, Tuesday, August 21, 2001

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!