Ads 468x60px

Pages

Know Your English (April 2001)

Know your English

``HEY, GUESS what? Sujatha's sister is getting married.''

``I know that. Sujatha introduced me to the guy a couple of days ago.''
``She did? I wonder why I wasn't introduced to him? Anyway, it doesn't matter. What does he look like?''
``His name is Laxman. He seems to be a nice person. He is no Greek god, mind you, but he is definitely....''
``....Greek god! What are you talking about?''
``Well, when you say that someone looks like a Greek god, it implies that he is extremely good looking. In other words, he is very handsome.''
``I see. How about this example? When I walked into the restaurant - I found a Greek god sitting next to Sujatha.''
``That couldn't have been Laxman. Here's another example. Rajeev is no Greek god, but there is something about him...''
``....who cares about Rajeev. What do you think my chances are of looking like some Greek god when I grow up?''
``Pretty good, I'd say.''
``You really mean that?''
``Of course I mean it. Nothing is impossible, you know. I mean if you kill off all the men in this world and you are the only one...''
``....not very funny. Anyway, the fact that Sujatha's sister didn't find someone who looks like a Greek god is not surprising. She is no Greek goddess, is she?
``No, she isn't.''
``Do you feel peckish at strange hours?''
``What a strange question! Why do you...''
``....I am not asking a question. I'm merely reading a line from this ad.''
``I see. Do you know what `peckish' means?''
``Doesn't it mean `hungry'?''
``Excellent! The word 'peckish' is used in informal contexts in British English to mean `slightly hungry'. Here's an example. After playing two sets, Devi began to feel peckish.''
``Your friend Devi always feels peckish.''
``You have a point there.''
``My neighbour Banu says she usually feels peckish around 11-00 o'clock at night.''
``Many people feel peckish around that time. Yesterday, while waiting at the bus stop, I began to feel peckish.''
``That happens to me whenever the bus is late. I told my mother about it and she suggested to take a snack to....''
``....not `suggested to take', but `suggested taking'.''
``But I have heard many people say, `He suggested to meet after lunch'.''
``It's true that many people say it, but it's wrong. What you need to say is, `He suggested meeting after lunch.''
``I see. How about this sentence? The students suggested going to the zoo.''
``Why go to the zoo when they can look at you?''
``I suggest that you stop making fun of me.''
``Sorry about that. I just couldn't....''
``Let's talk about something else.''
``Like what?''
``Cricket! Isn't it fantastic the way we bounced back in the test series?''
``It was a wonderful achievement. But I feel there is too much of showboating in cricket these days.''
``Showboating? What does it mean?''
``It is an annoying form of behaviour which the players display on the field. Showboating means the same thing as showing off.''
``Like when a fielder has brought off a brilliant catch or a bowler has taken an important wicket?''
``Yes, something like that. Showboating is usually done to attract attention to yourself.''
``Thanks to television, it's become very common these days.''
``Exactly! Here is an example. When the bowler took his second hat trick in the match, I thought there would be a lot of showboating. Surprisingly there was none.''
``How about this example? My friend Mukund is a showboat outfielder. He is well known for his outstanding catches.''
``When Rahul scored his fifth goal, we were all willing to forgive his showboating.''
``There is too much of showboating in cricket these days. It is no longer a gentleman's game.''
``It ceased to be that a long time ago. Anyway, we must be happy that we beat the Aussies.''
``I am extremely happy. I think the trip to Tirupathi brought the Prince of Kolkata lots of luck. From now on, for the sake of the country, our captain should visit Tirupathi before every test series.''
``And should the same person accompany him every time?''
``No comments.''
``Speech making is exactly like childbirth. You are so glad to get it over with.'' - John Barrymore


Source:
The Hindu daily, Tuesday, April 10, 2001

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!