Ads 468x60px

Pages

Uses- Reflexive - - Pronouns - Parts Of Speech-ESL/Learn English Grammar

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|



[Sidenote: _Use of the reflexives._]


96. There are three uses of reflexive pronouns:--


(1) _As object of a verb or preposition, and referring to the same

person or thing as the subject_; as in these sentences from Emerson:--


He who offers _himself_ a candidate for that covenant comes up

like an Olympian.


I should hate _myself_ if then I made my other friends my asylum.


We fill _ourselves_ with ancient learning.


What do we know of nature or of _ourselves_?


(2) _To emphasize a noun or pronoun_; for example,--


The great globe _itself_ ... shall dissolve.--SHAKESPEARE.


Threats to all;

To _you yourself_, to us, to every one.--_Id._


Who would not sing for Lycidas! he knew

_Himself_ to sing, and build the lofty rhyme.--MILTON.


NOTE.--In such sentences the pronoun is sometimes omitted, and the

reflexive modifies the pronoun understood; for example,--


Only _itself_ can inspire whom it will.--EMERSON.


My hands are full of blossoms plucked before, Held dead within

them till _myself_ shall die.--E.B. BROWNING.


As if it were _thyself_ that's here, I shrink with

pain.--WORDSWORTH.


(3) _As the precise equivalent of a personal pronoun_; as,--


Lord Altamont designed to take his son and _myself_.--DE QUINCEY.


Victories that neither _myself_ nor my cause always deserved.--B.

FRANKLIN.


For what else have our forefathers and _ourselves_ been

taxed?--LANDOR.


Years ago, Arcturus and _myself_ met a gentleman from China who

knew the language.--THACKERAY.






|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!