Ads 468x60px

Pages

How to parse pronouns - reminder - Pronouns - Parts Of Speech-ESL/Learn English Grammar

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|



HOW TO PARSE PRONOUNS


[Sidenote: _A reminder._]


138. In parsing pronouns the student will need particularly to

guard against the mistake of parsing words according to _form_ instead

of according to function or use.



Exercise


Parse in full the pronouns in the following sentences:--


1. She could not help laughing at the vile English into which

they were translated.


2. Our readers probably remember what Mrs. Hutchinson tells us of

herself.


3. Whoever deals with M. de Witt must go the plain way that he

pretends to, in his negotiations.


4. Some of them from whom nothing was to be got, were suffered to

depart; but those from whom it was thought that anything could be

extorted were treated with execrable cruelty.


5. All was now ready for action.


6. Scarcely had the mutiny broken up when he was himself again.


7. He came back determined to put everything to the hazard.


8. Nothing is more clear than that a general ought to be the

servant of his government, and of no other.


9. Others did the same thing, but not to quite so enormous an

extent.


10. On reaching the approach to this about sunset of a beautiful

evening in June, I first found myself among the mountains,--a

feature of natural scenery for which, from my earliest days, it

was not extravagant to say that I hungered and thirsted.


11. I speak of that part which chiefly it is that I know.


12. A smaller sum I had given to my friend the attorney (who was

connected with the money lenders as their lawyer), to which,

indeed, he was entitled for his unfurnished lodgings.


13. Whatever power the law gave them would be enforced against

me to the utmost.


14. O thou that rollest above, round as the shield of my fathers!


15. But there are more than you ever heard of who die of grief in

this island of ours.


16. But amongst themselves is no voice nor sound.


17. For this did God send her a great reward.


18. The table was good; but that was exactly what Kate cared

little about.


19. Who and what was Milton? That is to say, what is the place

which he fills in his own vernacular literature?


20. These hopes are mine as much as theirs.


21. What else am I who laughed or wept yesterday, who slept last

night like a corpse?


22. I who alone am, I who see nothing in nature whose existence I

can affirm with equal evidence to my own, behold now the

semblance of my being, in all its height, variety, and curiosity

reiterated in a foreign form.


23. What hand but would a garland cull

For thee who art so beautiful?


24. And I had done a hellish thing,

And it would work 'em woe.


25. Whatever he knows and thinks, whatever in his apprehension is

worth doing, that let him communicate.


26. Rip Van Winkle was one of those foolish, well-oiled

dispositions, who take the world easy, eat white bread or brown,

whichever can be got with least thought or trouble.



27. And will your mother pity me,

Who am a maiden most forlorn?


28. They know not I knew thee,

Who knew thee too well.


29. I did remind thee of our own dear Lake,

By the old Hall which may be mine no more.


30. He sate him down, and seized a pen, and traced

Words which I could not guess of.


31. Time writes no wrinkle on thine azure brow:

Such as creation's dawn beheld, thou rollest now.


32. Wild Spirit which art moving everywhere;

Destroyer and preserver; hear, oh, hear!


33. A smile of hers was like an act of grace.


34. No man can learn what he has not preparation for learning.


35. What can we see or acquire but what we are?


36. He teaches who gives, and he learns who receives.


37. We are by nature observers; that is our permanent state.


38. He knew not what to do, and so he read.


39. Who hears me, who understands me, becomes mine.


40. The men who carry their points do not need to inquire of

their constituents what they should say.


41. Higher natures overpower lower ones by affecting them with a

certain sleep.


42. Those who live to the future must always appear selfish to

those who live to the present.


43. I am sorry when my independence is invaded or when a gift

comes from such as do not know my spirit.


44. Here I began to howl and scream abominably, which was no bad

step towards my liberation.


45. The only aim of the war is to see which is the stronger of

the two--which is the master.








|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!