Ads 468x60px

Pages

Know Your English (Sep 2001)

Know your English

Does the word "timepass" exist?

It certainly does; at least it is alive and kicking in Indian English. We often use this word in our country to mean a good way of spending one's time. For example, we hear people say.
* The movie was a good timepass.
* It was just timepass.
* I always take a book with me when I travel. It's good timepass.
The word however does not exist in the native varieties of English. The native speaker would normally say, "pass time".
* The movie was an enjoyable way of passing one's time.
* I always take a book with me when I travel. It's a nice way of passing one's time.
* I passed time watching the kids at play.


Source:
The Hindu daily, Tuesday, September 04, 2001

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!