Ads 468x60px

Pages

Exercises - Prepositions - Parts Of Speech-ESL/Learn English Grammar

Read More | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 |



Exercises

(_a_) Parse the prepositions in these paragraphs:--

1. I remember, before the dwarf left the queen, he followed us
one day into those gardens. I must needs show my wit by a silly
illusion between him and the trees, which happens to hold in
their language as it does in ours. Whereupon, the malicious
rogue, watching his opportunity when I was walking under one of
them, shook it directly over my head, by which a dozen apples,
each of them near as large as a Bristol barrel, came tumbling
about my ears; one of them hit me on the back as I chanced to
stoop, and knocked me down flat on my face; but I received no
other hurt, and the dwarf was pardoned at my desire, because I
had given the provocation.--SWIFT

2. Be that as it will, I found myself suddenly awakened with a
violent pull upon the ring, which was fastened at the top of my
box for the conveniency of carriage. I felt my box raised very
high in the air, and then borne forward with prodigious speed.
The first jolt had like to have shaken me out of my hammock. I
called out several times, but all to no purpose. I looked towards
my windows, and could see nothing but the clouds and the sky. I
heard a noise just over my head, like the clapping of wings, and
then began to perceive the woeful condition I was in; that some
eagle had got the ring of my box in his beak, with an intent to
let it fall on a rock: for the sagacity and smell of this bird
enabled him to discover his quarry at a great distance, though
better concealed than I could be within a two-inch board.--_Id._


(_b_) Give the exact meaning of each italicized preposition in the

following sentences:--

1. The guns were cleared _of_ their lumber.

2. They then left _for_ a cruise up the Indian Ocean.

3. I speak these things _from_ a love of justice.

4. _To_ our general surprise, we met the defaulter here.

5. There was no one except a little sunbeam _of_ a sister.

6. The great gathering in the main street was _on_ Sundays, when,
after a restful morning, though unbroken _by_ the peal of church
bells, the miners gathered _from_ hills and ravines _for_ miles around
_for_ marketing.

7. The troops waited in their boats _by_ the edge of a strand.

8. His breeches were _of_ black silk, and his hat was garnished _with_
white and sable plumes.

9. A suppressed but still distinct murmur of approbation ran through
the crowd _at_ this generous proposition.

10. They were shriveled and colorless _with_ the cold.

11. On every solemn occasion he was the striking figure, even _to_ the
eclipsing of the involuntary object of the ceremony.

12. _On_ all subjects known to man, he favored the world with his
opinions.

13. Our horses ran _on_ a sandy margin of the road.

14. The hero of the poem is _of_ a strange land and a strange
parentage.

15. He locked his door _from_ mere force of habit.

16. The lady was remarkable _for_ energy and talent.

17. Roland was acknowledged _for_ the successor and heir.

18. _For_ my part, I like to see the passing, in town.

19. A half-dollar was the smallest coin that could be tendered _for_
any service.

20. The mother sank and fell, grasping _at_ the child.

21. The savage army was in war-paint, plumed _for_ battle.

22. He had lived in Paris _for_ the last fifty years.

23. The hill stretched _for_ an immeasurable distance.

24. The baron of Smaylho'me rose _with_ day,

He spurred his courser on,

Without stop or stay, down the rocky way

That leads _to_ Brotherstone.

25. _With_ all his learning, Carteret was far from being a pedant.

26. An immense mountain covered with a shining green turf is nothing,

in this respect, _to_ one dark and gloomy.

27. Wilt thou die _for_ very weakness?

28. The name of Free Joe strikes humorously _upon_ the ear of memory.

29. The shout I heard was _upon_ the arrival of this engine.

30. He will raise the price, not merely _by_ the amount of the tax.



Read More | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 |

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!