Ads 468x60px

Pages

Pronouns : Common Errors - 4

1. (W) He bought a radio for Rs.250 and sold the same at a handsome profit.

(R) He bought a radio for Rs.250 and sold
it at a handsome profit.

Note:- There is a common tendency to use this superfluous expression -- "
the

same
", where the pronoun "it" would be more suitable.

Avoid writing "I enclose a cheque for Rs.175, please acknowledge the receipt of
the same.


2. (W) The visitors
enjoyed, during their brief stay in Hyderabad.

(R) The visitors
enjoyed themselves during their brief stay in Hyderabad.

Note:- "
Enjoy" is a transitive verb, it must therefore be accompanied by an object,

which may be a noun or a reflexive pronoun.

3. (W) I shall
avail of this opportunity to meet you there.

(R) I shall
avail myself of this opportunity to meet you there.

Note:- The verb "
avail" must here be followed by a reflexive pronoun.

4. (W) May I now take
your leave?

(R) May I now take
leave of you?

(W) Can you see me at
mine tomorrow afternoon?

(R) Can you see me at
my house tomorrow afternoon?

Note:- We can use "
mine", "yours", etc only when the word "house" has already

appeared in this context.

For instance, "If you can't come to my house, I can meet you at yours".

5. (W)
Whom do you think will be dismissed first?

(R)
Who do you think will be dismissed first?

Note:- If you ignore the parenthesis "
do you think" it should be easier to know say

"
whom" is wrong. "Who. . . . . . will be dismissed first", and "Whom?"

0 comments:


Hello Friends ! Please send your requests,comments,suggestions to improve this blog. Learn English Grammar & Usage; Are U Anxious To Know The Science & Tech News; Where Are You ? Know The Changes; Health:News N Tips
Word of the Day
Article of the Day

This Day in History
Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:
Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!